Anchor Stakes

Question for the group - we're renting a houseboat out of Bullfrog for the 17th through 23 of this month. I've seen one website that recommends stakes (axles?) to hold anchors in place on the beaches. Of course the rental doesn't include them. Opinions?

davew

If you already have them -- fine -- if not no need to get them.
If you are planning to camp on a sandy beach, just have a shovel ( lots of posts regarding how to do this)
If camping where there are big rocks on the side of you, I use either 3inch straps or spare anchor ropes to tie off to the LARGE rocks. Then I tie the existing anchor ropes to them. When I say large, I only look at rocks at least 5 feet X 5 feet
read the posts on how to anchor, and you will be good to go.
Have fun

BartsPlace

Staff member
With a rental, you basically use what is provided. You shouldn't be required to bring anything for securing the houseboat (though some still do). Most of the "techniques" you read online are private owners who are fine tuning their own particular setup or style. As mentioned above, either bury deep in sand (with forks pointed at the boat), or tie to heavy objects.

Hope you have an incredible trip!

cfulton

I've used stakes for the last 30 years. I make them out of 1" galvanized pipe cut 4' long and hammer one end closed to keep it from filling with sand. We dig a 12" deep slit trench about 1' wider than the anchor flukes. We then use a sledge hammer to drive our anchors into the sand in the front edge of the trench. Once the anchor is set, I then drive one stake in 3' between the flukes of the anchor. It greatly increases the load capacity of the anchor. If huge winds come up or anticipated, I'll even drive a second stake in line 3' behind the first and lash it to the anchor. Chuck

SEALEGS

I've used stakes for the last 30 years. I make them out of 1" galvanized pipe cut 4' long and hammer one end closed to keep it from filling with sand. We dig a 12" deep slit trench about 1' wider than the anchor flukes. We then use a sledge hammer to drive our anchors into the sand in the front edge of the trench. Once the anchor is set, I then drive one stake in 3' between the flukes of the anchor. It greatly increases the load capacity of the anchor. If huge winds come up or anticipated, I'll even drive a second stake in line 3' behind the first and lash it to the anchor. Chuck
BINGO!!