Advice for 1st time LP visitors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd heard about needing the National Parks Pass - is that something we should purchase ahead of time before we leave, or should we just get it once we get down there? Does Wahweap Campground sell those, or are they available in Page somewhere? Is there any cost advantage to purchasing them beforehand and/or online?

Yes, purchase it at a BLM or NPS office. The one that they sell at Page or Bullfrog is ONLY for GCNRA. The annual pass you get at the BLM office is good throughout the country for all of the National Parks in the USA. Sq

Yes, purchase it at a BLM or NPS office. The one that they sell at Page or Bullfrog is ONLY for GCNRA. The annual pass you get at the BLM office is good throughout the country for all of the National Parks in the USA. Sq
Now thats something I didn't know!

The NPS annual Lifetime pass (for people over 62) used to be $10:00 they raised the lifetime pass to $70.00 for old farts 2 years ago. Still a great deal. I got mine for $10.00. Sq

Does the annual national park pass get you into glen canyon?
The Forrest service office in Spanish Fork sells them too. I don’t know the cost for you but for us old farts we can buy a lifetime pass, I believe I paid $80 but Sq might be correct. That is where I got mine. It works great for Powell plus I have used it at several other parks too.

You can buy both passes at the Bullfrog entrance station from the attendant if they are there. The automated machine only works about half them time LOL
One thing I have not heard mentioned is FISHING !! Powell is one of the great fishing lakes anywhere. If you have any interest in that throw in some fishing gear. You will have one more great activity to add to your experience. It doesn't take a lot of equipment to be successful. But once you get Hooked (pun Intended) you will acquire tons of fishing tackle.
Enjoy the Lake and stay safe!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome, that’s the way to go then. I think the park pass is only $25 more than the annual Powell pass.

Yes!! and next year I get the break for Young guys LOL. It has other benefits as well, discount on camping at some federal campgrounds. We got free entrance to a Museum in AK. I think it was Forest Service. Anyway they asked if we had the Pass and we did, all 3 of us got in free.

We'll probably just go ahead and spend the $25 extra and get the NPS pass. We only have one NP here in Oregon (Crater Lake), but if we decide to go on any other road trips this summer, we'll be covered.

Another question for y'all - while we're down there, I think I already mentioned we'll be doing the Ken's Antelope Canyon tour as well as the Epic ATV Adventure twilight ride. Both sites mention tipping your guide - what's a common amount for that? $20 bucks? I want to be sure to have the right amount of cash in my wallet before we go on each tour.

Last edited:
Just out of curiousity, what's a reasonable amount of time to budget for the approximately 35 mile (one way) trip from Wahweap to Dangling Rope via Castle Rock Cut under normal conditions? Ideally I'd want to do it in one day during daylight hours only, so we'll want to plan accordingly and cast off from Wahweap early enough so that we make it back in time before it gets dark. Obviously that will all play a factor in how long we can spend at Dangling Rope (or other stops along the way for swimming, pictures, hanging out, etc, etc).

We made the trip this last week. With my boat loaded it took me about 1.5 hrs. the water was a lot calmer once you get past padre bay and the crowds dissipate. If you make it to the dangling rope area you have to cruise down cathedral canyon, it is a must see. I would also check out mountain sheep canyon but keep an eye out for rocks under water. Rainbow bridge is a short hike everyone should see at least once. I would recommend doing it first thing in the morning rather then the afternoon as it gets hot.

We made the trip this last week. With my boat loaded it took me about 1.5 hrs. the water was a lot calmer once you get past padre bay and the crowds dissipate. If you make it to the dangling rope area you have to cruise down cathedral canyon, it is a must see. I would also check out mountain sheep canyon but keep an eye out for rocks under water. Rainbow bridge is a short hike everyone should see at least once. I would recommend doing it first thing in the morning rather then the afternoon as it gets hot.

Thanks - we'll check it out if we end up down at Dangling Rope. Looks like it's right before Forbidding Canyon for Rainbow Arch, so it would be silly to skip it if we're down that way anyways. Time would be the only issue, but if we cast off from Wahweap at a decent hour in the morning, I don't think it'll be a problem - we should still make it back to camp well before sunset/dark.

Hey guys, just made it back from a week camping down at Wahweap - you all are right, the place is simply amazing! We didn't want to leave, ever. Made it to Forbidding Canyon and Rainbow Arch the first day on the water, with frequent stops along the way for some cooling dips in the water and pics of the amazing scenery. Seems like around every corner we saw another OMG sight that we had to get pics of. Monday was mostly about achieving the goal of getting to Rainbow Arch and back without dying or getting lost; Tuesday we spent off the water taking the tour of Antelope Canyon and going to see Horseshoe Bend, as well as doing a 2-hour twilight UTV tour out by Vermillion Cliffs (which was pretty epic). Wednesday we were back on the water again, and I promised my son we'd relax a bit more instead of just go-going all day. We ended up over in Padre Bay swimming and relaxing, watching kids jumping off the cliffs into the water over there. Towards the end of the afternoon, before we left Padre, we motored back into Labyrinth Canyon a bit - simply amazing beauty back there, and so quiet too. All in all, an incredible experience, one my son and I won't forget. We'll be back down again next summer for sure! Thanks for all of the advice and pointers - gave us the confidence to try making it further up the lake to explore than we would have otherwise.

Oh, also worth mentioning - that Navionics app on my 7" tablet was a real lifesaver a couple of times that first day on the water. It's amazingly easy to get completely turned around and lost on the lake. If it weren't for the app, we probably wouldn't have made it to Dangling Rope or Forbidding Canyon that first day on the water. Was a little easier on Wednesday after we'd been on the water once, but I still had it with us just in case. Really saved our bacon a couple of times that first day though.

When a storm comes through at Powell, the waves get ugly. When the water was way low, we saw several boats on the bottom. I saw a large ski boat that swamped just off of the ramp once. If you see a storm coming, find a side canyon and wait it out. They usually last 30 minutes or less. Carry gas cans. I would go see Rainbow Bridge. It is a little past Dangling Rope, and is about a mile hike. One of the 7 wonders of the world. If you are going to go every year, buy a houseboat. You can buy one for less than a rental, and use it every year. Then you have a supply of gas for your small boat, and a freezer, an ice maker, and most importantly shade. I fell in love with Powell 45 years ago, and we've gone ever since. We beach camped for the first 25 years and loved it, but once I tried a house boat, I'll never go back. Take a mask and snorkel with you. The water is crystal clear at that end of the lake. Read up about Quagga mussels. You have to have your boat inspected when you leave. Won't be a problem if you are taking it out each day. We stay 2 weeks, and we don't have any on our boat. If you do tent camping at Powell next year, buy a Kodiak or Springbar tent. They hold up in the wind. Best tents I've ever had, and easiest to set up. Mine withstood 80 mph (predicted) winds. Take lots of sunscreen, and stay under the Bimini top as much as possible. I'm sure my skin cancer has something to do with Lake Powell. You'll love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back