Advice for 1st time LP visitors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a boat ramp anywhere up closer to PADRE BAY ? I HAVE A 18ft RANGER BASS BOAT and it is so far to run up there in my boat any recommendations? THANKS
Only 3 launch ramps - Wahweap, Stateline and Antelope. All are about the same distance to Padre Bay. It's a shorter run now if you go through the Castle Rock Cut -about 8 miles.

On that weather checking, it’s not cloud or rain, it’s wind that is the enemy. Wind can turn the lake into a beast, we had a few scary times before I learned to check all the websites. Now I am a wind snob and don’t want to go out if it even approaches double digits. I use weather underground app and check the hourly wind lists, it’s generally been pretty right on for timing etc.

Any recommendations for a printed map of the lake? I was going to just print them from Fred's website, but there's just too many of them to try to print. I'm thinking something like a Rand McNally road atlas, except for the lake.

Just out of curiousity, what's a reasonable amount of time to budget for the approximately 35 mile (one way) trip from Wahweap to Dangling Rope via Castle Rock Cut under normal conditions? Ideally I'd want to do it in one day during daylight hours only, so we'll want to plan accordingly and cast off from Wahweap early enough so that we make it back in time before it gets dark. Obviously that will all play a factor in how long we can spend at Dangling Rope (or other stops along the way for swimming, pictures, hanging out, etc, etc).

Sorry about that, Wayne - we top out at 50 mph in our boat, but I'd expect that we can't do that the entire stretch. Just knowing that you can make it in a bit over an hour in your boat helps though - I wasn't sure if we'd need to allow like half a day travel time each way or something like that. Sounds like we should be able to easily accomplish Dangling Rope in a day, with plenty of stops along the way to take swim breaks and enjoy the scenery, which is a good thing. :)

Sorry about that, Wayne - we top out at 50 mph in our boat, but I'd expect that we can't do that the entire stretch. Just knowing that you can make it in a bit over an hour in your boat helps though - I wasn't sure if we'd need to allow like half a day travel time each way or something like that. Sounds like we should be able to easily accomplish Dangling Rope in a day, with plenty of stops along the way to take swim breaks and enjoy the scenery, which is a good thing. :)
Don't sell yourself short with just a trip around Antelope. All the spectacular scenery is up lake. The rock formations near Gunsight/Padre/Last Chance are mind blowing. If you make it to Dangling Rope with a bit of time to spare, go on up to Rainbow Bridge -- the world's largest natural bridge. It's like a one mile hike at the end of a pretty cool canyon. It's a National Monument for a reason, plus the views of Navajo mtn are spectacular

My boat cruisers at just over 35 mph and we make it to DR in just over an hour with the castle rock cut open. You can easily see a few side canyons fill up gas at DR and have an ice cream there as well and still be back before 1. Just watch the weather. If thunder clouds are expected or can be seen then cut your trip by 3 pm. That is when they usually hit.

Our houseboat only cruises at 6 to 8 mph and we depart Wahweap at 6:30AM and make it to the end of rock creek via CRC by lunch time.

Don't sell yourself short with just a trip around Antelope. All the spectacular scenery is up lake. The rock formations near Gunsight/Padre/Last Chance are mind blowing. If you make it to Dangling Rope with a bit of time to spare, go on up to Rainbow Bridge -- the world's largest natural bridge. It's like a one mile hike at the end of a pretty cool canyon. It's a National Monument for a reason, plus the views of Navajo mtn are spectacular
Rainbow Bridge should be seen, but I wouldn’t recommend it on trip with the limited lake time you have. At this time of year it’s crowded, hot and the narrow canyon can churn up the waves, especially if a tour boat is coming or going. I happily take first time visitors if they express any interest, but I truly hate that canyon during high season. Explore Rock Creek, Last Chance, Whetherill, or any of the dozens of canyons between CRC and Dangling Rope

If you’re early risers, nothing beats being on the lake at first light, spectacular sunrises, and it’s usually like glass. Make your run up and come back slow.

You have your choice of Wahweap Launch ramp. Stateline Launch ramp right next to Wahweap in the south end and then you go to Bullfrog on the west side of the lake or Hall's Crossing on the east side of the lake opposite Bullfrog. That's about it. For Padre Bay you only really have Wahweap or Stateline down south. The other 2 are way too far north for you.

I would get an early start and cruise to DR, then on the way back south hit any canyon you want. Most of the slot canyons will on the East side of the lake, while the bigger, more wide open ones will be on the west side. My go to's are Weatherhill, Face, and Labyrith. And get ready for planning your next trip, nobody does Lake Powell once.

Thanks everyone for all of the advice - I'm amazed at the size of the lake and everything to see down there, and we haven't even made it there yet! We're not going to make any firm decisions about how far to venture until we get down there and see how we're feeling, but I think I'd like to at least try making it over to Dangling Rope as a goal for this first visit, exploring the different side canyons along the way. I would love to go see Rainbow Bridge - we'll see how things go and how we're feeling once we make it to Dangling Rope, maybe we'll attempt it, but I won't get my heart set on it per se.

Viewing it on Google Earth, it looks like there's a marina and floating docks to tie up to back in Forbidding Canyon when heading back to go see Rainbow Arch - are those usable by the public, and is there a fee?

Viewing it on Google Earth, it looks like there's a marina and floating docks to tie up to back in Forbidding Canyon when heading back to go see Rainbow Arch - are those usable by the public, and is there a fee?
Yup, public dock, no fee. As I recall there's a fee to enter the Glen Canyon Rec Area, but that covers all of it. That canyon is indeed choppy, but I did just fine in my tiny inflatable.

The fee for the Glen Canyon Recreation area is $30 each vehicle.
So if you have a boat, it's going to be $60.00, that's good for seven days .

If you plan to come back this year, get the “Annual Boat Pass” for GCNRA, it will be less expensive in the long run. The charge was $25.00 with the old farts pass and $50.00 for the younger folk. Sq

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back