24v trolling set up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reeltor

i just installed a new to me minn kota terrova, with i pilot and i link, i have not run a 24v system before and i am curious what kind of time others are getting from their 24v, 80# thrust motors, also is there a way to charge my trolling batteries from the alternator on on my inboard 4.3 lt v6, i plan on taking a small gen, with me when i camp at good hope but would like for the batteries to charge underway. one more question i have is why do they say i-pilot is not compatable with lowrance? i have mine hooked up to my elite 5 on front using the us-2 trans, and took it out on a local lake sunday and the spot lock worked perfectly, as did the auto pilot, i think if i put the lakemaster chip in instead of my avionics it will even follow contour, has anybody had any experience with this?

Squirrel

I have the 24 volt trolling motor set up on my 5.0L Bayliner. I installed the MinnKota MK-2-DC and it works great. It charges the 2 12V batteries whenever the engine is running. It cost about $130.00 and I installed it myself in about a hour. The TM batteries have not run out of power in the 4 years I have been using it. Granted, this is my 2nd MK unit as the first one failed about 2 months after the 3 year warranty expired. No, MinnKota wouldn't extend the warranty. It is a hell of alot easier than carrying a generator and listening to it for 2 or 3 hours as the batteries charge. You can find them on AMAZON or EBAY. Sq

Dungee Fishing

We generally get two full days of casting bank out of our batteries. That's at a lower-medium speed use, certainly with wind and or chasing boils at speed 10 will decrease the charge faster. Squirrel, the more I think about it the more I like the idea of the on board charging system. Our 115 four stroke Merc has one of the biggest alternators in the business as well, I think it would work very well.

upthecreek

I brag on the Minnkota onboard charger every chance I get. Our setup sounds nearly identical to Squirrel and there is never even a concern or second thought about whether the trolling batteries are ready. Using gas that you are already burning anyway.

Squirrel

We generally get two full days of casting bank out of our batteries. That's at a lower-medium speed use, certainly with wind and or chasing boils at speed 10 will decrease the charge faster. Squirrel, the more I think about it the more I like the idea of the on board charging system. Our 115 four stroke Merc has one of the biggest alternators in the business as well, I think it would work very well.
I agree, once the start battery is charged up, the MK unit switches the charging to the TM batteries. Sq

MrDeeds970

Hummingbird units communicate with MinnKota

Lowrance units communicate with MotorGuide

Not to say you can't have a MinnKota and Lowrance unit in your boat. I do and love them!! But they will not communicate to eachother to follow contours. Your Ipilot
uses internal gps. Adding a lakemaster chip to your Lowrance will not make your I pilot follow a contour line. But you can Spot Lock and as we all know, that's freakin sweet!! Oh geez, guess you can do that with Xi5 now too....but at least I can deploy it from sitting in my truck! Ha, I still love MinnKota!

Last edited:

Ken

I'll vote for the anchor/spot lock being one of the best features! Battery life will vary greatly depending on how you use it. Thanks for mentioning the MK-2-DC. I'll have to look into that.

dubob

The MK-2-DC has some limitations and may not work in many situations. According to Minn Kota (I called and talked to them this AM) the MK-2-DC is designed to only work if connected to a fully (or very near so) charged cranking battery (your outboard battery). The MK-2-DC will continue to work as long the cranking battery is fully charged. Running the outboard at cruising speed will maintain the cranking battery at full charge and the MK-2-DC will charge your electric trolling motor batteries while cruising. That works very well on Lake Powell or Flaming Gorge where cruising long distances between fishing spots is common.

If, however, you are fishing smaller lakes such as Strawberry, Rockport, Sand Hollow, etc., then the MK-2-DC probably won’t work for you. And if you are using a smaller gas motor for trolling, like say a Merc 9.9 Prokicker that has an alternator, this will not work to run the MK-2-DC because the current output of 6 amps is produced only at an rpm of 5,000 or more. Trolling rpm’s are typically less than 2,000 rpm and the current output of the alternator is minimal and the MK-2-DC would not be of much use if the 9.9 system were being used to run the MK-2-DC instead of the main gas motor.

The MK-2-DC system will probably be a good choice for Lake Powell or possibly Flaming Gorge. For almost other lakes in Utah, probably not so much. I have a 24v Minn Kota PD iPilot on my boat and will use it on at least a dozen or more Utah lakes. It would seem that my best option would be to use the largest capacity group size batteries (say Gp 31 as opposed to Gp 27) to run my Minn Kota or carry a small generator to run my built in 2-bank AC charger which probably won’t happen.

Like a lot of things in life, there ain’t no free lunch.

Reeltor

Thanks for all the info, i am definitely ordering the mk-2- DC asap, and i guess i will just have to keep an eye out for a good deal on a hummingbird unit for the front if i want to use the contour feature. Heading back down the 7th through the 10th, looks like the weather will be on the upswing once again.....fingers crossed!!

Bailer

Same here. 2 days is the longest I've gone. The built in gauge showed 3/4 charge at that point, fwiw.

Ryan

I don't think you will get 2 days if you are using it to actually troll. I get 1 day doing that, depending on the wind. Just following contours of the lake and casting, I am sure I could get two or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.