2021 Weldcraft Angler XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deep V

I live in Colorado and just got my new Weldcraft 20 Angler XT with 200 HP Suzuki and 15 HP Tohatsu kicker. Boat is 22' 10" long with reverse chine and a 1 piece extended bottom bracket. I plan on living and camping out of this boat. I have a battery operated fridge, 130 watt bugout solar panel and small toilet. I have a lot of rafting experience and plan to use that gear to make kind of a ghetto houseboat. Will this boat be able to handle rough waters at Lake Powell? Do you recommend sleeping on the boat or setting up on a beach? How many anchors should I have? How do I safely secure the boat on shore while camping? I have a complete cover with windows that zip out. I also plan on hitting Lake Mojave next week until it warms up enough for Powell. I really like the Aluminum hulls because they are so tough and can beach easily on sand or rocks without worries of scratching the bottom up. It also has a lifetime warranty on the hull to the original owner. I don't have any lake boating experience just rafting down rivers.
Your thoughts are appreciated.

Last edited:
That boat will handle Powell well, just be smart. Sleeping on the beach or the boat will be your preference, both are good options. Beach your boat, tie something on the front eye and one on both the back starboard and port cleats. You’ll be good.

I would much prefer sleeping on the boat, IF you can make a nice , soft nest. My old carcass does not appreciate hard surfaces, plus the more spread out you get, the more you have to watch out for, but the boat may not allow the room.

Should I avoid the monsoon season? It seems that's when most people have problems. I've spent 100's of nights camping in Moab and mountain biking. I have seen tents blow down the mountain with lots of gear inside. I would have to think if its anchored well you would be fine though. If caught in a wind event would you be safer on the boat with good anchor or on the beach with good anchors?

I
That boat will handle Powell well, just be smart. Sleeping on the beach or the boat will be your preference, both are good options. Beach your boat, tie something on the front eye and one on both the back starboard and port cleats. You’ll be good.
I have 1 anchor with a 100' of line and 2 100' static lines for wrapping around rocks and such. Will that be enough?

How big can the waves get out there?
Congrats on your new set up ! This sounds amazing ! The waves on certain parts of the lake can be of epic proportions (on the north lake areas that get big are around halls/bullfrog and good hope bay. Also any part of the main channel that has alignment w SW wind ) but with precautions and planning you can almost always avoid being in the wrong spot at the wrong time. As every lake Powell veteran has experienced, the scary storms are the late night unexpected thunderstorms/windstorms that roll across the desert and bounce off the Henry’s. A lot of times there is no good place to hide form these storms. Just have a plan in place and always camp in a super protected place no mater what the weather says because lake powell weather is a bit of an anomaly and difficult to predict. Have fun enjoy LP on the new set up !

Should I avoid the monsoon season? It seems that's when most people have problems. I've spent 100's of nights camping in Moab and mountain biking. I have seen tents blow down the mountain with lots of gear inside. I would have to think if its anchored well you would be fine though. If caught in a wind event would you be safer on the boat with good anchor or on the beach with good anchors?
Just camp in a really protected spot man. There are plenty of small bays at any water level for a boat such as yours that you can be protected on 3 sides ...

I camp both in my boats and out on the beach. The winter months I have actually started setting up a tent on the beach, because of water condensation collecting on everything in the boat. I actually prefer sleeping on my boat and you will learn very quickly where you should set up camp at night, in order to get out of the wind. I actually tie my boat down the same as the house boats, with two ropes from the rear cleats go at about a 30 degree angle to shore. I just use the el cheapo twist in dogs steaks. You will love it.

I camp both in my boats and out on the beach. The winter months I have actually started setting up a tent on the beach, because of water condensation collecting on everything in the boat. I actually prefer sleeping on my boat and you will learn very quickly where you should set up camp at night, in order to get out of the wind. I actually tie my boat down the same as the house boats, with two ropes from the rear cleats go at about a 30 degree angle to shore. I just use the el cheapo twist in dogs steaks. You will love it.
Hi Havalina,
I love the twist in dog stake idea. You mean the metal ones that are about 15" long?
Got em!

1611451296799.png

Last edited:
Yep those would be the ones. I also use two per rope in sand and one if there are some rocks to loop the rope around. I used to use a 25 pound claw anchor with about 50 ft of rope up on the bank. I had three feet of shore and I was going to be swimming for my boat last June after a wind storm. That was the same experience, where I learned to keep my Garmin in reach on my body at all times.

Just camp in a really protected spot man. There are plenty of small bays at any water level for a boat such as yours that you can be protected on 3 sides ...
X2. There is nothing better than having the landscape protect your boat and peace of mind! Things go sideways quickly on LP, but it sounds like you have pretty good grasp on what to expect. You never know what can happen from storms, but knowing the forecast and expected wind direction is huge. Sounds like a perfect fishing boat for LP!

Two years ago I bought a Hughes 190 Sea Runner HT with a 150 HP main and a kicker. Two coolers and a 2000 watt generator. Frying pan and a coffee maker. It's wide enough to sleep between the seats. I hunt for little coves with sandy beaches, test them with a slight bump, back out, romp on the engine good to slide it up on the beach. Take my anchor up the beach, stomp it down hard in the sand and pull the anchor line as hard as I can. You'll get a feel for it after a couple times. My profile picture is from my first night on the boat at the mouth of the Escalante. Be safe and make sure you have all the safety gear you need, it's a long walk home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back