2 Stroke Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Ray

To all you folks still running older Mercury outboards. Are you using mercury recommended Quicksilver or switched to other name brands like Lucas?
My outboard is a 1997 150hp.
Thanks

I have been buying cabellas 2 stroke oil when its on sale. No problems with it at all. They have had major improvements with motor oils the last 20 years or more. Its one reason cars etc. are going 300,000 miles now. When I was a kid a vehicle with 100,00 miles was trashed. Now they seem to run forever. I used to have an Evinrude 2 stroke and would only run Evinrude oil. Before that it was a Johnson. Now Im not afraid of any of the oils.

Yes oils have come a long ways in 20 years... while I do not have a two stroke power plant on my boat, I run Amsoil in all my engines, boat, dirt bikes, trucks, etc...

I have a 2003 Mercury 90 (carbureted, oil injected). I have been using the Cabelas semi-synthetic oil for more than 10 years, never had any issues, still running strong! I run the gas out after every use, this engine has only needed new plugs, changed lower unit oil and a new impeller every few years with absolutely no other maintenance. While I look forward to a cleaner, quieter 4 stroke on my next boat, that wont be for a while with the crazy boat market right now!!!

To all you folks still running older Mercury outboards. Are you using mercury recommended Quicksilver or switched to other name brands like Lucas?
My outboard is a 1997 150hp.
Thanks
For me, I use exactly what the manufacture recommends -- several reasons --
1. They do all of the product testing and engineering with the recommended fluids.
2. If there is a warranty involved, I don't want anything to jeopardize that
3. Outboard engines are EXPENSIVE -- I want to do everything I can to make them last. I believe using the recommended oil does that

Mine is a Mercury 90 HP 2007 2 stroke. I got it 2nd hand. Same as Dorado. So far runs great. It's a would not have been my first choice, but it came on the boat I bought. My last motor had been a 4 stroke Honda. Loved it. I've been a Chevron motor oil fan for years but cabellas doesn't make the oil I use. It's made by a major oil company and like I said before they've improved oil a lot now. Time will tell I guess.

I have a 2003 Mercury 90 (carbureted, oil injected). I have been using the Cabelas semi-synthetic oil for more than 10 years, never had any issues, still running strong! I run the gas out after every use, this engine has only needed new plugs, changed lower unit oil and a new impeller every few years with absolutely no other maintenance. While I look forward to a cleaner, quieter 4 stroke on my next boat, that wont be for a while with the crazy boat market right now!!!
Sounds like my 1998 Mercury Force 120hp. Just keep up with preventive maintenance and she has ran strong! I do the same and run the gas out of the engine on the trailer before I pull her out of the water. I do love the smell of an old 2 stroke engine on a crisp spring morning...

0EFD60C7-006B-422A-B9AE-C219703BB6EA.jpeg2003 yammie 130 2 smoker. Everything dorado and Davew said. I use yamalube cuz for the couple extra bucks per gallon it makes me feel good to put in what the manufacturer makes for it. No warranty lol. I smoke and smell but man that hole shot is ridiculous and she starts every time.

TR

View attachment 115702003 yammie 130 2 smoker. Everything dorado and Davew said. I use yamalube cuz for the couple extra bucks per gallon it makes me feel good to put in what the manufacturer makes for it. No warranty lol. I smoke and smell but man that hole shot is ridiculous and she starts every time.

TR

2 stroke smoke is one of the greatest smells in the planet. Takes me right back to putting out of Farleys as a kid with my grandpa and dad.

View attachment 115702003 yammie 130 2 smoker. Everything dorado and Davew said. I use yamalube cuz for the couple extra bucks per gallon it makes me feel good to put in what the manufacturer makes for it. No warranty lol. I smoke and smell but man that hole shot is ridiculous and she starts every time.

TR
That is the only thing about a four stroke, kinda doggy out of the hole. I would like a good peppy two stroke some time. Except for buying the oil.

Not a Mercury 2 Stroke runner but I have run other 2 strokes and they all have their recommendations.
My jet ski is 2 stroke. I use only Royal Purple or Amsoil in it. I run Amsoil in every other 2 stroke I own.
When I ran my 1990 Johnson 2 stroke, I ran Quicksilver in it.
If you decide to go with a conventional 2 stroke oil, keep in mind that most of the major brands are made at the same plants as each other. Really no different from one to the other.
Like it was said, Oils have come a long way since your 1997 motor was made.

We are Citgo/Mystic lubricant distributors, I can tell you that Citgo makes a lot of small engine oils and the important thing about oils is watch the API doughnut and make sure you are getting the equivalent or higher rating than what the OEM specifies, There are several kinds of 2 stroke oils and make sure to get the correct one. Water cooled (TCW III) , air cooled (TC), and there are also several grades going from natural oil to full synthetic for all two stroke and that also applies to snowmobiles and the ATV market.
It will not hurt to use a better oil in any application and also remember where the oils are manufactured---Oil companies!!!

TR
Yamalube is some great oil! When I was racing two strokes I either ran Yamalube or Golden Spectro... Love the smell of Yamalube!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back