2 stroke motors on lake powell need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbrookw

Everyone,

It has been a long time since I have vacationed on Powell. My wife and I are going to buy a houseboat timeshare and I am looking at buying a used Yamaha LS2000 1999 model year. As this was built before the 2003 law change I am not sure if it is Lake Powell legal? Reading the law, it seems to only apply to Personal Watercraft. Not boats. Is that true? It has a carburetor so I just am not sure. I don't want an unpleasant surprise when we get to the lake. Any help here?

Ryan

The only two strokes that are banned are personal water craft. There are still a number of houseboats on the water that are powered by two strokes. Saw a handful of fishing boats just today that are two stroke as well.

That said, personally I would try to stay away from them. The only two stroke engine I am a fan of is the e-tecs. All the others (in my experience) are too loud, too smelly, too inefficient and aren’t as reliable as a 4-stroke.

Zman

The only two stroke engine I am a fan of is the e-tecs. All the others (in my experience) are too loud, too smelly, too inefficient
Love my 2014/150hp e-tec, and yes it is extremely quite. Was at the muscle inspection and left the motor running when I pulled it out of the lake. I was thankful for the inspection that day.

Dave I.

With the 2 strokes, the personal watercraft are still allowed as long as they are 1996 or newer (I believe that is the year) and have direct injection. If it's a Jetski that you have to mix the oil & gas in the tank, it is illegal at the lake.

With boat motors, there is no restriction. I see people with 80's & 90's 2 strokes all the time going to the lake. I was running a 1990 Evinrude 88 special for years and no one ever questioned it.

The law is funny though. I have a group that have a 1980's (?) boat where the jet ski's "dock" onto the rear of a boat and the jetskis are the motor's for the boat. Kawasaki made the set up for a few years. What's funny about it is as long as the jet skis are dock into that boat, it is legal to use them because it is the boat's only propulsion. The minute the jet ski un-docks from the boat and gets used as a personal watercraft, it is illegal to run on Lake Powell. So, what did the law really accomplish?

Cookie

I tried to find what NPS would do if you were caught with a banned 2 stroke on Lake Powell, all I could find was they would warn you and ask you to stop using that vehicle on the water. There are plenty of 2 stroke jet skis on the lake still cruising around. NPS is doing nothing to curb it.

Dave I.

So you could put jetski engines in a boat and be good?
Technically, yes you could as long as it is it's main source of propulsion.

I tried to find what NPS would do if you were caught with a banned 2 stroke on Lake Powell, all I could find was they would warn you and ask you to stop using that vehicle on the water. There are plenty of 2 stroke jet skis on the lake still cruising around. NPS is doing nothing to curb it.
Again, there are still 2 stroke jet skis that you can legally operate on Lake Powell. I believe anything older than a 1996 model and without the direct oil injection is illegal on the lake. But again, are they really enforcing the law? Last time we were out on the lake, we seen a stand up ski. I'm pretty sure those are part of the ban.

dallas massie

You have to conform to 2006 emissions. only E-tec 2-stroke jet skis and all 4 stroke motors meet that standard . I had a jet ski powered boat that would not plane out at powell.

Dave I.

I do stand corrected on the 1996 models that I have been saying. That was when the direct injection first started to get utilized and that is where my confusion lies.

But, here is the skinny on this topic:

I have a 2000 STX-1100di and it is on the list for being compliant and being a 2 stroke that can run on Lake Powell. More than just the e-tec 2 strokes are permitted. Just look at the list and see if yours is there. If not, call and verify, but the proper answer may not come easy.

Dave I.

As an example of how much enforcement is rendered regarding this ban.
I am currently working on 2 Seadoos that are 1997 models, 2 stroke and direct injected and they frequent the lake several times each year. Since I thought the cut off date was 1996, I never thought these ones were illegal. They have never been stopped or questioned by the park service regarding the ban.
Personally, I think the focus is where it should be, on the mussel issue.

Steve Moore

On the past we had a big discussion on this. If I remember right from the list was if it is DI it’s legal. Also the definition was used if you ride IN them the law didn’t apply. Only if you rode ON them

hypoxia

I noticed this is a top google search for "lake powell 2 stroke ban" and joined to clarify this. This also applies to the lake mead 2 stroke ban.

If you have a PWC and it's a two stroke, it's most likely banned. The exceptions are the ones that meet the 2006 EPA standards which include most if not all Direct Injected two strokes. Meaning, if it has injectors you're legal. If the engine has a carburetor, it's not. So your 1996 Seadoo XP is banned, but the 2001 Seadoo XP with the 951 Direct injected 2 stroke isn't.

Now my experience is in Lake Mohave and Lake Mead and have taken my two stroke PWC's out. I gotten stopped by a ranger, and he didn't seem to care even though it was spewing smoke.

PS:
I think this law is poorly written. If they cared about the environment they would have banned the jetboats with the same motors. Like the Seadoo speedster has two of the same exact 2 stroke motors found in the PWC's polluting 2x as much, but are perfectly legal.

bubba

The 2 stroke ban has definitely improved the lake. The noise level is way Down and so is the odor trails. Much better without them - all of them, ski boats, jet skis, houseboats, fishing boats, what is the difference.... (etec slightly exempt)

Status
Not open for further replies.